Monday, February 19, 2007

Music Video

Last weekend, I directed a music video for a joint project of Santa Clarita School of Performing Arts and a junior high school in Valencia, CA. It's a hip-hop song titled "Listen" geared towards the teens and young adults regarding the importance of listening and diversity. These are some of the storyboard drawings I did.
It was a two-day shoot with a little over a hundred cast and crew and three months preparation. My friends from DSI Studios brought their talent and equipment all the way from Long Beach. We shot everything in anamorphic widescreen 24P HD. Lighting and grip equipment courtesy of Pat Christman and his crew. I have to give it to my wife, Bing, the associate producer, for managing very well the logistics of the production especially feeding that many people for two days. I don't usually put photos on my blog but I'll make an exception. By the way, photos courtesy of my good friend, Aixa Deluca, the official photographer. Below are some pictures during production. Now, we'll be in post production at DSI.

(Above, clockwise from left: me, assistant director Mike Merrill, DP Paul Olson, and 2nd unit director Marc Hampson; we used 2 Panasonic HVX200; my wife, Bing, at work; on the set day 2.

My DSI friends: (left to right) Paul Olson, myself, Aaron Fairley, Marc Hampson, and John Olson during a break. For complete photos on the video shoot, click here.

16 comments:

Shuku said...

Armand these look -great-, seems like you guys had a lot of fun despite the hard work! I salute your wife, I really do - being assistant producer to a crew of -that- many people is no joke. It was hard enough handling a crew of 25 during our shoots several years back, ESPECIALLY feeding them. Craft services - Godsends!

--Shuku

Mark McDonnell said...

You sun of a gun. Nice man. Great diversity . . congrats.

MAC

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the process .
I really like the board sketches -
super fast and super confident .

Tim Bye said...

Great stuff Armand! Is there no ene to your talents?!!

Antonio Santamaria said...

It looks great... what an interesting sketches... Draw in "post its", right? Fresh and perfect... Good Luck with the clip!!!

Armand Serrano said...

Thank you all.

Antonio,

Actually, these are drawn on regular yellow ruled pad papers using black sharpie. But I do draw quick boards and thumbnails on post its at times. Thank you.

Marcos Mateu said...

Nice and dinamic boards.
You the man!!!

Hans said...

Hey Armand,

Great boards! Sounds like a fun project, is there anyway we can get to see the finished video?
Thanks for sharing the photos as well.

Take care,

Hans

Unknown said...

This is cool, look like a fun project!! WOW!! Love the board too!!

Armand Serrano said...

Hans,

Not so sure since I don't own the song. The producer together with the school board will use it to local schools and they plan to market it commercially later on. But I have the privilege to show some stills later. Keep you posted. Thanks.

Armand

Andrew Glazebrook said...

Cool !! I wish I was involved with more live action,CG and sitting infront of a PC does my head in sometimes !!

Motu said...

Wow, there is no end to you talent is there?! Yellow ruled paper and an sharpie... amazing! I enjoy seeing the pictures too! Major props to Bing for taking care of the crew. You both are awesome.

Alessandra Sorrentino said...

that board looks very interesting! i love the first panel and the downshot..it sounds like you really enjoyed making all that! ;)

Martin Wittig said...

You do it all! Also, it's nice to finally put a face to all that amazing work!:)Thanks for posting these:)

Philip Dimitriadis said...

These thumbnail shetches of yours are just fawesome!!! Really nice compositions!!! Great work. Thanks for showing the process!!

Craig Mackay said...

Sweet storyboards, man!